In Memoriam, Susan B. Landau
Posted on June 2, 2017, 9:30 AM
Stand Up To Cancer lost a dear friend on Wednesday. . . one of our best of friends, Susan Landau. Even if you didn’t meet her personally, chances are you gazed at her photographs. Susan served as SU2C’s unofficial photographer from the very start. She documented PSA shoots and our telecasts, painstakingly designing and laying out each of our “photo books.” In a way, Susan was our historian, capturing the smiles and interactions of patients, scientists, and stars from TV, film and music.
Susan was also Laura Ziskin’s best friend. After they met, while working on the “Eyes of Laura Mars” back in the late 1970s, they became inseparable. When breast cancer took Laura’s life, Susan looked for more ways to support the SU2C mission that was so near and dear to her beloved friend’s heart. She created a book called “Laura Ziskin: Collective Memories & Photographs.” In it, Susan eloquently paired excerpts from letters SU2C scientists sent to Laura’s family with photos that captured her life’s work. All sales benefited SU2C.
We will miss Susan so very much, but we will never forget her. Through her photographs hanging on our walls, in our books and on our website, Susan shines through. We were privileged to have her gifted eye focused on illustrating SU2C’s progress . . . Most of all, we were truly blessed that she was our friend.
Return to Blog
- Taking on the Childhood Cancer Bully
- Helping High Schoolers Find Research and STEM Field Opportunities
- SU2C’s Scientific Partner Reports on Progress in the Struggle Against Cancer
- Tackling the BRCA Gene on The Bold Type
- SU2C’s Research in the Fight Against Glioblastoma and Other Brain Cancers
- Honoring a Loved One Through Fundraising
- How to Become an Empowered Cancer Patient
- A Routine Screening That Helped Save My Life
- Standing Up For Dad
- In Memoriam, Susan B. Landau