SU2C Supports: Don’t Fry Day
Posted on August 2, 2011, 3:05 PM
Today, Stand Up To Cancer joins in supporting The National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention in recognition of Don’t Fry Day. This day, designated on the Friday before Memorial Day each year, serves as a day to remind people to practice skin cancer awareness and follow sun smart guidelines. As the holiday weekend and warm weather approach us, SU2C hopes to help reduce the rising rates of skin cancer by sharing a few tips on sun safety and skin cancer prevention.
While no single precaution can fully protect you from developing skin cancer, you stand a better chance of staying skin cancer free by following some key prevention and screening guidelines:
- A tan may look good, but too much exposure to ultraviolet radiation from the sun is bad! Do your best to avoid sun burning, intentional tanning and using tanning beds (they are just as harmful).
- Choose SPF carefully (make sure it protects you from both UVA and UVB rays). Apply it generously and often; especially after being in the water or getting wet.
- When outside consider wearing sun protective clothing such as wide-brimmed hats, swimsuit cover ups and sunglasses.
- Try to avoid too much time in the sun between the hours of 10am-4pm. If you have to be outside, umbrellas and shady areas are great ways to avoid direct exposure to the sun.
- Don’t hesitate to get checked! Your dermatologist is your friend and it’s good to always get any new or suspicious moles checked out. Check out the guidelines for the ABCD Screening Method to learn more about what kinds of moles to look out for.
For more tips and information on the state of skin cancer today check out Stand Up To Cancer’s most recent State of the Fight: Skin Cancer.
SU2C hopes everyone enjoys the holiday weekend and the summer weather, but more importantly we hope that you continue to do it safely!
Return to Blog
- Taking on the Childhood Cancer Bully
- Helping High Schoolers Find Research and STEM Field Opportunities
- SU2C’s Scientific Partner Reports on Progress in the Struggle Against Cancer
- Tackling the BRCA Gene on The Bold Type
- SU2C’s Research in the Fight Against Glioblastoma and Other Brain Cancers
- Honoring a Loved One Through Fundraising
- How to Become an Empowered Cancer Patient
- A Routine Screening That Helped Save My Life
- Standing Up For Dad
- In Memoriam, Susan B. Landau