On the Red Carpet with Wish-Maker and Survivor, David Perre
Posted on October 9, 2014, 8:30 AM
“Teenagers; we all live the life of dreamers. We go where we want, and we do what we want, because we’re invincible. But within that one second, everything can change.” David Perre explains.
David has experienced that one second—the one second when everything changed for him, when he heard the words, “you have cancer.” At 16-years-old, David went into surgery for what doctors thought was a hernia or appendicitis, only to discover he had stage 2 liposarcoma—a cancer that arises in fat cells deep in the soft tissue. Shortly after diagnosis, he underwent aggressive treatment.
It was right around this time that he saw the 2012 Stand Up To Cancer telecast air on TV. “I just loved everything about the show and it was so inspiring to see so many people, including celebrities and survivors coming together to fight cancer.” He wanted to become a part of the next show, and with the help of Make-A-Wish Foundation, David and his family flew from Arizona to Los Angeles to receive the red-carpet treatment.
As Stand Up To Cancer’s guest celebrity of the 2014 Stand Up To Cancer telecast, here are some of his biggest takeaways from the event:
Favorite Show Moment:
Red Carpet Advice:
Los Angeles Memory:
Most Starstruck When:
Words of Wisdom:
Why Everyone Should Stand Up To Cancer:
Return to Blog
- SU2C’s Scientific Partner Reports on Progress in the Struggle Against Cancer
- Tackling the BRCA Gene on The Bold Type
- SU2C’s Research in the Fight Against Glioblastoma and Other Brain Cancers
- Honoring a Loved One Through Fundraising
- How to Become an Empowered Cancer Patient
- SU2C and Mastercard Share Small Things That Can Make a Big Difference to Help a Cancer Patient
- A Routine Screening That Helped Save My Life
- Standing Up For Dad
- In Memoriam, Susan B. Landau
- The Meaning of Support When It Comes to Cancer