New Genome Profiling Technique Identifies Weak Points in Breast Cancer Cells
Posted on August 3, 2011, 1:46 PM
Yesterday it was announced that scientists, supported in part by SU2C, have identified many weak points in breast tumor cells. The new research is now published in Cancer Discovery, a journal of the American Association for Cancer Research.
Project leader Alan Ashworth, Ph.D., chief executive officer of the Institute of Cancer Research in London, is a principal on the Stand Up To Cancer Breast Cancer Subtypes Dream Team. Noting that SU2C provided vitally important funding,
Ashworth also said, “through the Dream Team framework, SU2C provided the collaborative structure that was necessary for our research. The ability to collaborate with other team members and share genetic data has been vital and will continue to be necessary as we apply this finding to other cancer tumor types.”
This work is seen as a starting point for the development of new therapies. Patients’ treatments will be refined according to the specific type of disease they have. To do that, scientists first needed to determine the “Achilles’ heel” of breast cancer, and then develop drugs that hit these weak spots. If validated, the method could apply to other types of cancer.
It goes without saying that, none of this progress in both research, and scientific collaboration would have been possible without YOU. The generous support of our SU2C donors, supporters, advocates and ambassadors help us to keep fighting and funding this kind of groundbreaking cancer research. We feel certain that this is only the beginning and that there will be more developments and breakthroughs to come as we continue to stand together in the fight against cancer…until it is no more.
Return to Blog
- Taking on the Childhood Cancer Bully
- Helping High Schoolers Find Research and STEM Field Opportunities
- SU2C’s Scientific Partner Reports on Progress in the Struggle Against Cancer
- Tackling the BRCA Gene on The Bold Type
- SU2C’s Research in the Fight Against Glioblastoma and Other Brain Cancers
- Honoring a Loved One Through Fundraising
- How to Become an Empowered Cancer Patient
- A Routine Screening That Helped Save My Life
- Standing Up For Dad
- In Memoriam, Susan B. Landau