2012 MLB 5K & Fun Run with Alison Sweeney Recap
Posted on July 10, 2012, 11:45 AM
This past Sunday, 8,020 enthusiastic runners gathered in downtown Kansas City’s Power and Light District to participate in MLB’s All-Star Charity 5K & Fun Run! Presented by Nike, the run raised awareness and funds for cancer research, with 100% of the net proceeds going to the Prostate Cancer Foundation, the Greater Kansas City Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, and Stand Up To Cancer. SU2C Ambassador Alison Sweeney, host of The Biggest Loser, joined Major League Baseball Hall of Famer George Brett, former Royals Mike Sweeney and Jeff Montgomery, and American Idol winner David Cook to host the day’s events for a revved-up crowd.
It was an especially moving day at the Stand Up To Cancer booth. There, runners created placards to wear on their backs as a physical and emotional reminder of whom they were running for. Meanwhile, SU2C erected a signing wall where runners and their families could do the same. The wall was completely filled within a matter of hours. Alison Sweeney and Stand Up To Cancer co-founder Rusty Robertson were among those firing up the crowd before the race, which likely motivated men’s winner Caleb Hoover to run a record time of 15:10 despite a hilly course!
Return to Blog
- SU2C’s Research in the Fight Against Glioblastoma and Other Brain Cancers
- Honoring a Loved One Through Fundraising
- How to Become an Empowered Cancer Patient
- SU2C and Mastercard Share Small Things That Can Make a Big Difference to Help a Cancer Patient
- A Routine Screening That Helped Save My Life
- Standing Up For Dad
- In Memoriam, Susan B. Landau
- The Meaning of Support When It Comes to Cancer
- Jamey Stonestreet: Proud Mom and Two-Time Cancer Survivor
- Actress Jessica St. Clair Gets Personal About Breast Cancer & the Facts All Women Need to Know